top of page


Please call our office to discuss your travel plans as early as possible — at least 1-2 weeks prior to interstate travel and at least 2-3 weeks prior to international travel. 

Health Certificates

A health certificate verifying that your horse is not carrying any communicable diseases may be required for travel across state lines or international borders. Although a health certificate is typically good for 30 days from the date of the physical exam performed by the veterinarian, it's always a good idea to check in with us whenever your horse travels to be sure your certificate is up-to-date. Since blood work and lab tests are likely to be needed, please plan ahead!


Things to have ready for a health certificate examination: Horse’s barn name and show name, age, sex, breed, boarding location address, owner’s address, owner’s phone number, address of where the horse is going, day the horse is leaving, and the name, address and phone number of the hauler.

Horse Trailer.jpg

The hauler must present all required documents when transporting your horse across state lines or international borders.


Proof of a Coggins test, which checks for Equine Infectious Anemia, is required for transport into most U.S. states and many countries. Although rare in California, this disease, which is passed by insects, has no known cure. A simple blood draw is needed for the test and it takes 2-3 business days to get results back from the lab. 

bottom of page